Charon License Upgrade
All Charon products require a license key. Current versions of Charon products can use either a USB dongle or a software license.
Reasons to Upgrade
Customers may desire to upgrade for the following reasons:
- To replace a USB key with a software license.
- To replace an obsolete Charon product with the current product. This may be because the customer wants to move to a newer version of Windows.
- To replace a damaged or defective USB key.
- To re-key a software license when the host system has changed.
The customer must be active on annual support. Customers that are not on annual support, please contact Quayle Consulting for a quote.
All related time-limited or date-limited keys should be be updated at the same time.
License Key Upgrade Procedure For USB Licenses
- Stromasys sends the customer a new 30-day USB temporary license.
- The customer returns the original key to Stromasys during the 30-day period.
- When the original USB dongle is received by Stromasys, they will issue two update files to make the key permanent.
- The customer launches the Charon VM Manger, goes to the Host Information & Utilites tab, and selects License Update Tool, selecting the Apply License File tab.
- Click on the "..." button, and select the v2c file with "fmt" in the name, and click Apply Update.
- Then, click on the "..." button again, and select the other v2c file.
License Key Upgrade Procedure For Software Licenses
- The customer launches the Charon VM Manger, goes to the Host Information & Utilites tab, and selects License Update Tool.
- If the system has not had a software license installed before, select "Installation of new protection key". If the software license is being updated, select "Update of existing protection key". In either case, click on Collect Information. A prompt will appear to collect the system information with an extension of "c2v".
- Send the file to Stromasys.
- Stromasys will return a file with extension "v2c".
- The customer starts the License Update Tool as before, selecting the Apply License File tab.
- Click on the "..." button, select the v2c file, and click Apply Update.
Note: If the prior license was a USB dongle, the license sent by Stromasys will be limited to 30 days. When the original USB dongle is received by Stromasys, they will send another update to make the software key permanent.
Key Destruction Procedure for USB Keys
Customers running in a classified environment where security regulations do not permit the old USB key to be returned should follow the following procedure:
- Take a photograph showing: (a) that the electronics of the key have been destroyed, and (b) the plastic enclosure of the old key with the serial number readable.
- Complete the signed statement attesting that the old key has been destroyed.
- Submit the photograph and statement to Stromasys.
- After Stromasys receives the verification document, a new USB key will be sent to the customer.
If you have questions about upgrading your Charon license key or would like to discuss how the Charon emulation products can replace your legacy hardware with minimal time and expense, please contact Quayle Consulting by clicking on the button below.